Thursday, February 7, 2013

The good with the bad

I finally got the chance to see Ada! I spent a few days in Arizona at my sister and brother-in-law's house. Unfortunately my sweet niece has had a rough beginning. Just before our visit she was hospitalized with RSV. In a way it was nice to be able to help out with "big-brother Brady", but we didn't get much quality time with the rest of them. Ada is going home today. She has been out of the womb a little over a month now and only been home for like 11 days. My poor sister and her little family.

The same day that Ada was hospitalized, my father in law was admitted to the hospital. His dementia has progressed until there is no way that he can be cared for at home. He spent his first three days under 24 hour surveillance. A member of the family stayed with him all of the time until he calmed to his surroundings and didn't try to escape. The night before I returned from Arizona, he was transferred to the nursing home where he got into a physical fight with his room mate and threw a table at someone else. We are fighting an uphill battle. I quickly called to find out the details and discovered that he was transported in the evening (bad for dementia patients) and none of the family was notified that he was being transported. He had no clothes and was wearing a hospital gown. I am sure he was completely freaked out!

Last week was a tough one. My oldest step son was caught with marihuana and started an alternative school the very same day. Completely frustrating that this kid was given a second chance when he moved in with us and has decided to throw it away. Plus his timing is very poor.


No comments:

Post a Comment