Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Biting the bullet

Trying to overcome family struggles is one of the hardest things for me to do. It's not like you can "write it off" and walk away. They are family! You love them.

A recent drama unfolded within my extended family, and somehow I found myself at the center of it. As people who tried to do our best to make situations good, we got shunned. Then some things were said that hurt and now it's just awkward.

Members of my family feel like I think I'm better than them because of my belief in God. They think I am judgmental. I have no idea what I've done to make them feel this way as I have never imposed my ideas on any of them. I am not a "pushy Christian."

As a Christian I have been held to a higher standard and judged by society and some of my family. If I do something wrong, it's extra wrong because I'm a Christian. That's not fair! I am also a person born in sin just like everyone else. I am not superhuman because I have a belief in God. I try to do what is right and usually fail everyday, but by the grace of God I don't have to be perfect.

But I do have to be the one to make it right with my family. It can't keep going like this. Forgiveness is not the easiest thing to give away,but I can do it. I already have. Tomorrow I will be having dinner with said family member to try and mend the hurt. Not sure how this will go, but it's worth a shot.

My faith in God doesn't mean I'm going to lay down and let people run over me. But, my faith in God is the only thing bigger than my own stubborn pride. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment