Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Women need positive women role models

My husband encouraged me to start my own "small group" for our church. Tonight was the third meeting we have had. Our group is only for women and we meet at a Starbucks here in town for about an hour and a half. We've been running around 7 or 8, but tonight we only had 5. Immediately I felt like it was my fault. People didn't like me or something, but you know what happened? Everyone there was able to open up a little more than usual because it was more intimate. I was actually able to find out more about some of these ladies that usually remain quiet. I was blown away by their life stories. 

Tonight we talked about the book of Titus from the New Testament. A while back I thought that I might try to read that book because it's a small book in the Bible. After reading it, and studying the devotional, I felt really led to discuss it with my group. Titus 2:3-5 "Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." 

We can learn a lot from "more experienced" women. Our culture nowadays is not one of social gatherings of women like it used to be. We are alienated and isolated often times. I really feel like I could learn a lot from a woman who has gone through some of the same trials that I have. I'm going to start praying for God to lead me to such a woman. I miss my Mama Cathryn. I feel like she was that woman in my life until she passed away. She wasn't always the most sensitive person with her advice, but she never judged or held your mistakes against you. She spoke the truth and we knew she loved us unconditionally. I love that lady.

I think I may like blogging for the 31 for 21 challenge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment